TxDMV issues annual timber permits for the movement of unrefined timber, wood chips, woody biomass, and equipment used to load timber on to the vehicle.
Trucks may not exceed Texas legal size limits.
Note: Vehicles moving under this permit may travel on county roads and state-maintained roadways, excluding the Interstate Highway System, in timber harvest counties* selected on the permit application.
*Applicant may only select from counties named in the most recent Texas A&M Forest Service’s Harvest Trend Report.
Notification required: At least two business days prior to movement, carrier must electronically notify TxDOT and affected counties of the address or geographical area that the carrier intends to operate, including the name or number of each county or state road and the dates or duration of movement. Electronic notification is made through the TxDMV website.
Operating Authority Requirements
Prior to being issued a permit, you must have an Annual Timber Permit Bond in the amount of $15,000 or an Irrevocable Letter of Credit on file with TxDMV.
An original copy of the bond must be on file with TxDMV. An electronic copy will not be accepted.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $900. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
Permit Movement Conditions & Curfews
- It is expressly understood that the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) shall not be responsible in any way for any damage of whatever nature that may result from the movement of the described vehicle and load over Texas roads or highways. By issuing this permit, TxDMV does not guarantee that the road or highway can safely accommodate such movement.
- This overweight permit is issued on the condition that the permittee will comply with all laws and rules relating to the movement of overweight vehicles and/or equipment on Texas roads and highways.
- This permit authorizes the described vehicle/vehicle combination to operate at a gross weight of up to 84,000 pounds, provided the tandem axle weight of the vehicle/vehicle combination does not exceed 44,000 pounds.
- This permit does not authorize the vehicle to exceed the manufacturer’s tire load rating. See 49 C.F.R. 393.75(f).
- This permit authorizes the operator of the described vehicle/vehicle combination to travel through any state road or highway construction or maintenance area, provided the size and weight of the vehicle do not exceed the construction restrictions. The permittee is responsible for contacting the appropriate local jurisdiction for construction restrictions on roadways that are not maintained by the state.
- It is the responsibility of the permittee to clear any overhead obstruction or utility line. In addition, all utility companies or other entities must be contacted in advance, as required by the utility or entity, to assist in clearing the obstruction.
- Every vehicle that is issued an Annual Timber Permit will be issued a sticker to be placed on the front windshield of the vehicle.
- A vehicle operating with this permit and displaying a sticker may operate on a road maintained by a county and on a state highway in counties where the county and TxDOT have been notified by the financially responsible party in accordance with Texas Transportation Code, Section 623.323. Notification is not required if movement is from a storage yard to the place of first processing or from out-of-state to the place of first processing within Texas. The notification tool can be found on the Annual Timber Permit page.
- This permit authorizes the described vehicle to operate on state and county roads and bridges. Travel is prohibited on the Interstate and Defense Highway System.
- Use caution at all railroad crossings. Railroad crossing hotline: 1-888-877-7267.